Friday, June 4, 2010

Super Low Carb Turkey Burgers!


One of my favorite kitchen tools is my George Foreman grill.  now normally I wouldn't advocate anything that is sold late at night in program length commercials, the Foreman grill or a grill like it would be the one exception.  I have the smallest model, which is great for me since I usually only cook for myself.  I can make everything from beef burgers to bacon in it, and there's little if any smoke, and hardly takes any time at all!

Of course any time I say Foreman's Grill, you can use a pan and cook on top of the stove, but if you're going to invest in one appliance (and by invest I mean as little as $20), this might just be the one.

For Turkey Burgers;
Turn on the grill and let it heat up - mine has no temp age so just let it heat.

Ground turkey - one package (about 1lb)
One packet of dry salad dressing mix - Good Season's has several varieties (http://brands.kraftfoods.com/goodseasons/flavors/dry-salad-dressing-and-recipe-mix/)  I like the garlic and herb variety for this recipe
Whole butter lettuce leaves (or iceberg, or romain - any large leaf salad green will do)
2 or 3 think slices of beefsteak tomato (or heirloom or whatever kind of tomato you like)
A good smear of homemade mayo

In a large bowl, mix one package of ground turkey, with one package of the dressing mix.  When the mix is thoroughly incorporated, divide the turkey into three to four equal parts.  I usually use those snack sized zipper baggies, and shape and flatten the patties so I can freeze them.  They come up out as single serving rectangles that are easy to pop on the grill later.

Place the patty on the Foreman Grill, and let it cook - about 7 min then turn it over - you can make fancy grill marks if you give it a quarter turn when you flip it - and cook for another 2 or 3 min. (Times are approximate)

While the burger is cooking, wash, dry and stack 2 leaves of butter lettuce for each "bun"
Add a smear of homemade mayo, and a couple of slices of tomato
Place the finished burger on the tomato, and add a couple bits of cheese if you like -I used brie
Top with two more washed dried leaves of lettuce

If you're watching your carb intake like I am, you can eliminate the tomatoes, although I love them and since the carb count is negligible, I choose to include them.

Summer BBQ envy - RESOLVED!!  WOO HOO!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment