Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Homemade Mayo!

I'll admit I've always been intimidated by the idea of making mayo.  I thought it took a lot of whisking and an extra set of arms.  Not so!  I looked at various recipe and techniques and cobbled together a version that was surprisingly easy and resulted in a super creamy amazing mayo!

I may never buy mayo at the store again!  Plus since I'm making it at home, I can add different things to the mayo to flavor it (like I did for the mint mayo that I used for dinner last night - pictures and recipe to follow).

Stuff you're going to need:
A food processor - mine is a KitchenAid Chef's chopper, 3 cup food processor.  Dinky, and only one speed but fits in the cupboard.


  • 1 whole egg
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt - I used a little less because my doctor wants me to cut back on salt)
  • 1 1/2 cups canola oil 

Put the egg vinegar and salt into a food processor 

Turn on the processor, and once the egg is mixed, slowly start pouring in the oil - this is the key part slowly - I mean really slooooowly.  I use squeeze bottles in my kitchen for oils - I find it's easier than dragging out the whole bottle of oil when I'm cooking - they worked GREAT to regulate the flow of oil into the processor.

Keep running the processor until all the oil is incorporated - it will magically turn into mayo!!

Took all of two minutes...


For variations of the mayo, you can add herbs, garlic, lemon - all manner of good stuff!


For example, add a healthy handfull of fresh mint for a mint mayo.  Great on a sandwich with chilled lamb!
Add grated horseradish and spread on a roast beef sandwich
Add lemon zest and smear it on multigrain with some smoked salmon
Add fresh rosemary and use it on a pulled pork sandwich


Use your imagination!

No comments:

Post a Comment