Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bacon and Egg salad

I've been into poached eggs lately - can't tell you why.  But I've discovered this is my favorite salad lately.  It's easy to make, although the poaching part takes some practice - the first dozen or so eggs came out either under or over cooked every time...

Slab bacon - I recommend always keeping it around the house - you can get it at places like th Amish grocery   stores in NYC or other grocery stores that have a deli counter, or from Fresh Direct.
Mixed greens - I like the spring mix with frisee  and a bit of baby arugula mixed in.  
Large fresh eggs
White or cider vinegar
Balsamic vinegar
Olive oil
Sea salt (I used black lava salt in this case - hence the black flecks)
Dash of Parmesan

Dice the bacon into big chunks, and cook over medium heat until it gets to your favorite level of crispyness
set it aside, don't drain the pan
In a small sauce pot, bring water to a boil - you want it to be a couple of inches deep 
Add a splash of white or cider vinegar - it helps to keep the egg together during poaching
Crack the egg into a small bowl - it helps to ease the egg into the water, making it easier to retain the shape
Once the water is boiled, turn the heat all the way down but not quite off.  Slide the egg into the water gently.
Let the egg cook between 4 to 7 min - this is the experiment part, it depends entirely on how soft you like the egg.  I find my sweet spot is right about 5 and a half minutes.
Once the egg is cooked, lift it gently out of the water using a slotted spoon.  Set it on a paper napkin to drain.
In the pan where you cooked the bacon, add a bit of olive oil, and the balsamic (red or white) pour that over the greens and toss to mix.  Pop the greens on a plate and sprinkle (liberally!) with the cooked bacon.  Top with a poached egg, and a little pinch of salt right on the egg.
Dig in!!




1 comment:

  1. YUM. I love poached eggs too. Adding this one to my someday list.

    ReplyDelete