However at one point or another you might find yourself in a situation where it's not appropriate to have boxes from the local delivery joint piled up in the kitchen (it'll likely be just about the time when you realized you need to pour that beer into a GLASS on this particular occasion...)
So I came up with a grown up version of my favorite treat that's easy to pull together for any occasion.
Oven to 405 degrees.
Stuff you'll need (in no particular quantity or order):
1 container of pre-made pizza dough - I used Pillsbury - one can of dough makes two pizzas for me as I cut the dough in half the long way to make two long skinny slabs
Everything else is optional and entirely up to your taste here are a couple recommendations
- Double smoked bacon - I buy slabs to keep around for just such an occasion - diced and browned
- cherry tomatoes halved
- Fresh arugula (I add mine after baking for color and taste)
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
Fig and Goat Cheese
- Fresh black figs if you can - dried figs soaked in wine if you can't
- Goat cheese (or Gorgonzola)
- Pine nuts
Caramelized onion and mushroom with Gorgonzola
- Caramelized onions (check the link on how to do this)
- Mushrooms - sauteed with dried herbs
- Gorgonzola crumbles (or goat cheese, Brie, Parmesan etc.)
Ham and Cheese
- Diced ham
- Grated Cheddar
- Grated Jack (or pepper jack) cheese
- Red onion (raw) rings
- (add pineapple for Hawaiian pizza!)
Sausage and mushroom
- Chicken apple sausage
- Diced sauteed mushrooms
- Caramelized onion
- Mozzarella cheese
Open the pizza dough, and turn it out onto a floured surface. Stretch the dough out to make an even sized rectangle pinching any holes in the dough together while you go. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough in half the long way.
Top with whatever mix of toppings you like -one of the suggestions above perhaps? Or pepperoni and cheese? It's up to you! I recommend pre-cooked toppings as this will make this dish so much easier on you...
Place the pizza on a baking sheet (I use a silpat under mine to prevent sticking, parchment is another option) and place in the oven for about 12 min or until the cheese melts and the crust begins to brown.
Slice into finger food portions and serve warm - presto! Instant appetizers!